In 1803-1860 it is documented that the lands lying between the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers and encompassing the present states of Ohio, upper and lower Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, and part of upper Minnesota were called the Northwest Territory.
In 1846, a document was signed setting aside portions of land for a canal which encompassed the Fox River.
In 1849, President Zachary Taylor signed a document releasing some of these lands, thereby making them available for purchase for homesteads. The document released lands described as Town 18, Range 16, Section 21, further described as the Town of Algoma. Some of these lands were documented as purchased as early as 1847, although the State of Wisconsin was not officially formed until 1848, and at that time the Town of Algoma officially became part of the state.
“No town in the county contains less waste land and none is better watered with springs. The town was mostly burr oak openings with here and there a small prairie or natural meadow, while in Sec. 28 and 29 was a large grove of forest timber. The village of Algoma (now included in the fifth ward of the city of Oshkosh) was started in the summer of 1846 by C. J. Coon, Thomas C. Baker, James Whittemore, D. W. Forman, Wm. Daggett and others. A store was started and well supplied with goods by Mr. Baker; an excellent saw mill was started by Messrs. Forman & Daggett, and a Hotel erected by Mr. Coon. The location being at the old crossing of the trail from Fort Winnebago to Green Bay, it at first bid fair to become the main point on the river, but with poor management or position, Oshkosh finally took the lead and at length absorbed its early rival. Farms can be bought in the town of Algoma, from fifteen to fifty dollars per acre, according to the character and amount of improvements. In this town in 1855 there were five schools, 316 scholars. Population 850.” (From the book, Geographical and Statistical History of the County of Winnebago, Published by Martin Mitchel and Joseph H. Osborn; Markham and Felrer, Book and Job Printers, Oshkosh, 1856)